MLB PLAYER NEWS

MLB Notebook: Pirates’ Marte suspended 80 games

Sports Xchange

April 18, 2017 at 4:50 pm.

Apr 9, 2017; Pittsburgh, PA, USA;  Pittsburgh Pirates center fielder Starling Marte (L) celebrates with catcher Francisco Cervelli (R) after Marte hit a two run game winning home run against the Atlanta Braves during the tenth inning at PNC Park. The Pirates won 6-5. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Apr 9, 2017; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Pirates center fielder Starling Marte (L) celebrates with catcher Francisco Cervelli (R) after Marte hit a two run game winning home run against the Atlanta Braves during the tenth inning at PNC Park. The Pirates won 6-5. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Pittsburgh Pirates center fielder Starling Marte was suspended 80 games without pay after testing positive for the performance-ending substance Nandrolone, the commissioner’s office announced Tuesday.

Marte’s suspension begins immediately. The use of Nandrolone, an anabolic steroid, violates MLB’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Marte, who was placed on the restricted list, said the mistake wasn’t intentional but occurred because he wasn’t educated.

The 28-year-old Marte was batting .241 with two homers in 13 games this season. He made the National League All-Star team for the first time last season when he batted a career-best .311 and set a career high with 47 stolen bases. He also won a Gold Glove for the second straight season.

–Pirates third baseman Jung Ho Kang has an appeals hearing set for May 25 in South Korea regarding his drunk driving conviction, multiple outlets reported.

Kang received a suspended eight-month jail sentence in March for his third DUI conviction in South Korea since 2009. Kang was unable to secure a work visa in the United States due to the situation. If the sentence is reduced, Kang might be able to gain entry to the U.S and rejoin the Pirates.

Kang is currently on the restricted list and isn’t being paid.

–San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy underwent a heart procedure on Tuesday and will miss the team’s two-game series in Kansas City.

The Giants said Bochy underwent an ablation, a procedure to address an abnormal heart rhythm. The condition was causing Bochy discomfort.

Bench coach Ron Wotus is serving as San Francisco’s manager while Bochy is away.

Also, the Giants activated catcher Buster Posey from the seven-day concussion list prior to Tuesday’s game. Posey was hit in the head by a pitch on April 10 and experienced concussion-like symptoms.

–The Toronto Blue Jays’ slow start is being hampered further by injuries.

The Blue Jays were just 2-10 entering Tuesday’s action, as they announced that left-hander J.A. Happ has been placed on the 10-day disabled list because of a sore left elbow.

Earlier in the day it was reported that Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson, who was placed on the disabled list April 14 after reinjuring his right calf, will miss at least two more weeks and maybe up to four.

On Sunday, the Blue Jays put right-hander Aaron Sanchez on the 10-day disabled list because of a blister on his right middle finger.

The Blue Jays recalled right-hander Danny Barnes and infielder Ty Kelly from Triple-A Buffalo.

–First baseman Matt Carpenter plans to be in the lineup for a Wednesday matinee but the St. Louis Cardinals went without their No. 3 hitter again Tuesday.

Carpenter’s swollen ring finger improved overnight but he will rest another day rather than return to the lineup for the second game of a series with the Pittsburgh Pirates at Busch Stadium.

Carpenter sustained a lacerated finger Sunday night when he was hit by a ground ball in their game against the New York Yankees.

–Major League Baseball is expected to discuss a plan for umpire crew chiefs to wear a microphone and explain controversial rulings after replay reviews, the Associated Press reports.

If an agreement is reached, crew chiefs could be mic’d up as soon as this year’s All-Star Game on July 11 in Miami.